I’m trying really hard to bake a cake a week (not sure if this is the healthiest idea but my coworkers and friends sure seem to like me more), and this weekend’s creation is inspired by the flora April will (hopefully) bring! I’m not quite sure why I went with a green theme, but once I had my mind set on it, I tried to include as many green ingredients as I could. Ok, I did stop at spinach, but when I saw it in my fridge, I seriously asked myself if I could somehow include it in the cake for a brief moment.
The recipe itself is extremely simple and quick, but it produces a moist pound cake with subtle hints of matcha and lime. To really bring out the lime, I covered my cake with a lime juice glaze, but the cake really doesn’t need one – it just depends on how limey you want it!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 ounces unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 lime (plus 1 more and 1/2 cup powdered sugar for the glaze)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 330 F and grease a loaf pan.
- Mix the avocado and apple sauce until creamy.
- Add the sugar to the avocado/apple sauce and mix well.
- Add the eggs and the juice of one lime, and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, matcha, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and slowly add to the wet mixture.
- Once all ingredients are well mixed, pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool and either serve or continue on for the glaze.
- Zest the two limes and juice the remaining one.
- Mix the lime juice with one cup of powdered sugar and pour over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the zest over the glazed (or even unglazed!) cake and enjoy!
As usual, let me know what you think. I also started a food-only instagram, so feel free to follow me on @thedairyfreeglutton 😊