Wow, I think I’m on a slow cooker role! Last week the Slow Cooker Lime Pulled Pork, now this apple butter recipe… But it’s so easy and versatile!
I was invited to a bunch of pot-luck style things this weekend – a housewarming, a picnic, and then I hosted my own Eurovision Party (to which though nobody showed up… But that’s a different story!) – so I had to come up with something I could bring to all of these events. And thus the idea of making apple butter was born (fyi, I plan to make a crepe cake with apple butter layers soon. No idea how it’s going to turn out, but we shall see).
The only ~difficult~ part of this recipe was peeling and cutting all the apples. Everything else was just wait and stir!
- ~4.5 lbs apples (I used granny smith and… another kind that I don’t remember)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- pinch of salt
- 2 packs of vanilla sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Peel and cut the apples into cubes
- Mix with sugar, cinnamon, clove, salt and vanilla sugar in slow cooker
- Cover and cook for approx. 6 hours on high, stirring every hour or so
- Uncover the slow cooker, add the rum, stir, and cook for another hour uncovered while high
- Turn slow cooker off, let cool down some and store in refrigerator
I put my apple butter in little mason jars that are an AMAZING gift! The rum cooks off but adds to the flavor. So far, I’ve eaten the apple butter with bananas and toast, but I’m sure it would work great in a smoothie, oatmeal… you name it!